Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Irish Beef Stew

Its a rainy chilly day in Wisconsin. A perfect day for this Irish Stew.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. beef for stew
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 lg. potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
3 lg. carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
1 bag frozen peas, about 16 ounces
20 ounces beef broth
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 tbsp. cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Cut beef into bite-size cubes. Toss beef cubes to coat with flour. Heat oil in large pot. Add celery, onion and bay leaf. Cook on low until onions and celery are translucent but not browned. Add the beef a little at a time to the pan and brown beef completely. Add beef broth and tomato sauce. If necessary, add enough water to cover beef. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until beef is tender. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook 1/2 hour until vegetables are tender. Add frozen peas. Cook 5-10 minutes until peas are tender.

Serve with Irish Soda bread.

3 comments:

Calming Scents said...

we just made beef stew yesterday...I have made this before and love it also. your right--a good day for that kind of meal.

Calming Scents said...

you know I dont know if i did-I will go check if i got her halloween issue. I know i bought something, and i'm thinking its hers. I have so many. I tried to find that patten last year and couldnt. that is why i purchased it in Grandin Road.

Karen said...

I'm so looking forward to soup weather! This sounds really good... I've been wanting lamb and I bet it would be good in this recipe.