Wednesday, January 7, 2009

WFMW - Storing Leftovers

I no longer use containers to store leftovers. I just got tired of cleaning them. Since I cook every meal – I had plenty of icky containers to clean. It would have helped if we were better about eating leftovers – recently we have been better so less is tossed and less grows!

Instead of using containers, I use bags. I buy my bags in bulk. Ziploc has a commercial box of 250 bags gallon size double zip bags (about $21.00) and they last well over a year. I know it has cost me more than twenty one dollars a year washing all those containers! I use the bags for everything, liquids as well – using quality bags ensures they will not break. Just be sure the contents is cooled – warm is ok.

I use an empty three pound coffee can to “stand” the bag. You can cover the can with paper, fabric, contact paper, etc. to match your décor. Leave it in a place handy for everyday use.

I used to dread finding room for all the leftovers after holiday meals but not anymore. This storage method for leftovers makes cleaning the fridge a breeze and I tossed those hard to store containers which take up so much cabinet room.

Leave me a comment! and Follow Me! (shameless begging)

For more helpful ideas, please visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer - http://rocksinmydryer.typepad.com/shannon/.

13 comments:

Jerralea said...

Jewel,

Interesting idea. Where do you find the commercial size box of Ziplocs?

I like the idea of using the coffee can to stand the ziplock in, too!

wfbdoglover said...

That's a great idea. Then you can freeze things too! I have been thinking about using bags, vs. washing - as I do try to be "green" if I can. I do agree that the water vs. the plastic can be a better savings.

Karen said...

Great idea! I just *hate* all those little plastic bowls with lids that I can never find to match! Where can I find Ziploc commercial size??

Sarahlcc said...

Okay, that is just so nifty ~ your header's theme is almost the same as mine! Well, not my header, but my explanation ~ okay, my words are just jumbled today ~ come on over and see why I followed you anyway! Right hand sidebar. :-))) I'm going to tweet you also.

Robin Sue said...

Jewel- I have been toying with all the different kinds of ways to store my leftovers. The bags do take up less room and no washing! I am trying to find a balance with being "green" and convenience and it is difficult. Convenience does win alot around here. I wish I had known about the coffee can idea several years ago when I tried to fill a bag with punch to freeze and the whole thing fell out of my hands. I doused my floor with 1 Gallon of sticky punch. So very sad!!

Kim@ForeverWherever said...

That is such a creative idea...love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Great time-saving tip, Jewel! I'm pretty tired of washing, giving up storage space, not to mention finding the right size containers, etc... Plus those plastic containers get stained if you store spaghetti sauce and look yucky. Our family isn't too great at using up leftovers, but we're working on it.

Thanks,
Karin

Kathy said...

What a great idea. I hate those plastic containers - you can never find a matching lid anyway! I'll be off to Sam's Club tomorrow!
Have a perfect week...
Kathy

BeeHappy said...

Love this idea! I'm new to your blog but just added you to my frequent list of blogs. Stop on by and of course leave me comments :)

AUTISMOMMA said...

This idea is great for meat too! I have been doing something like this for quite some time to freeze ground beef when I bring it home from the store. I buy large packages of ground beef (because I usually get to the store as they are closing down the meat counter for the evening) at 40% off regular price and bring it home and pack it in one-quart Ziploc freezer bags. I use a large glass and drape the bag edges over the sides. I then fill the glass to full and it is approximately one pound. I flatten the meat and zip the bag closed. Flattening the meat makes it freeze faster and easier to store.

Just another SAHM said...

Fabulous idea!
I use freezer bags for just about everything I freeze (sounds obvious, right? but so many people use containers & bags can be frozen flat so I can get more in) but I'd have never thought to give up my containers for leftovers. I can see keeping some so the hubs can take his lunches to be warmed up but Hmmmmm, you've got me thinking!! Thanks!
PS _ I recently bought a mega sized box of Freeze Ziplocks at Sams. If anyone is looking - check your Sams or Costco!

Domestic Kate said...

Oh, my good gracious, I'm putting this into practice TODAY. I'm somewhat tight on cabinet space, and it drives me nuts to have all my plastic containers taking up valuable real estate. Thanks for the tip!

Milla said...

EXCELENT¡¡¡
GREAT IDEA,